Officials of the Anti-Corruption Commission (ACC) submitted their rebuttal against Dechen Singye, a member of the Gyalpoizhing Plot Allotment Committee, who has been charged with deceptive practice, official misconduct, sale of Government land and illegal registration of plots, yesterday at the Mongar Court.
ACC’s submission said that it failed to comprehend why his sister Dechen Zangmo was unable to prepare a genuine application, duly signed by her and sent through fax, post or other means, if she was unable to come in person, as done by the other applicants.
Dechen Singye, as a Member Secretary of the Plot Allotment Committee, was aware of the criteria in place, ACC’s rebuttal said. He was the one, who went around Gyalpoizhing Kurizampa and Lingmithang to prepare a list of license holders for allotment of plots. The defendant also marked some applicants as not recommended, stating that the applicants’ spouses were Government servants.
As per the 1991 Government approved criteria from the Secretary, Ministry of Social Service, preference was to be given to those, who own and operate legal shops in the given township, and Dechen Zangmo did not even fulfil this basic criteria.
As required by the approved procedure, which was publicly announced on May 2001, the applicants were required to report in person for the lucky draw. ACC’s rebuttal said that the state did not find any reason for Dechen Zangmo’s inability to report for the lucky draw on June 2001, despite the fact that she had over a week to make herself available.
The submission that his spouse, Rinzin Dema, represented her was against the approved norms. Further, other applicants, who were represented, were marked “represented by,” whereas, in the case of Dechen Zangmo, instead of such a remark, the defendant had put a plot number. “This act clearly indicates the defendant’s intention to deceive the Government.” ACC submitted.
The defendant claimed that there was a verbal authorisation from his sister Dechen Zangmo. If that was the case, the state fails to understand why the defendant had not signed the application, appending his own signature, ACC’s rebuttal said. The fact that the defendant used a thumb impression was to make it appear as though it was to legitimise her application to deceive the Government.
He prepared an application in his sister’s name, forged her thumbprint and, when she failed to report for lucky draw, the defendant inserted a plot against her name, and even the cost of the plot was paid by the defendant. After the allotment, the defendant looked for a buyer, negotiated the cost, sold the plot and received the money. There is no evidence to indicate Dechen Zangmo’s involvement in the plot allotment at all.
The defendant claimed that the plot allotment to his sister Dechen Zangmo was in accordance with normal procedure. However, the state does not find any concrete or circumstantial evidence that otherwise proves that the defendant operated under normal procedure, ACC’s rebuttal said.
Dechen Singye was booked under NA 1-2 of 1953 Thirmzhung Chhenmo for official misconduct or deceptive practices, including fraud and forgery, and also accused of allotting a plot to his sister.
Dechen Singye will submit his second rebuttal on January 8.
Also in this series: Gyalpoizhing Land Scam in Court
- Dechen Singye Defends Gyalpoizhing Plot Allotment
- Gyalpoizhing Land Allotment Committee Members in Mongar Court
- Minjur Dorji in Mongar Court for Gyalpoizhing Land Scam Case
- ACC Rebuts Gyalpoizhing Land Allotment Committee Members
- ACC Rebuts Speaker Jigme Tshultim in Gyalpoizhing Land Scam Case
- Mongar Court Full Steam with Gylapoizhing Land Scam Case
- Minjur Dorji Must Be Held Responsible
- Jigme Tshultim is Accused of Forgery, Deceptive Practices, Sale of Government Land and Illegal Registration of Government Land
- ACC: Minjur Dorji Illegally Gave Land to Kharchu Dratshang and Drametse Dratshang
- Speaker Jigme Tshultim Says Not Guilty
- Speaker Jigme Tshultim Wants TV Broadcast From The Courtroom
- Gyalpoizhing Land Beneficiaries Related to High Ranking Officials
- Minjur Dorji Wrote Minutes of the Meeting in His Own Handwriting
- PM JYT: Speaker and Home Minister Didn’t Do Anything Wrong
- Jigme Tshultim Provided With Heaters in Mongar Court
- Gyalpoizhing Land Scam Case Court Verdict
- Finally A Superman – Er… A Superwoman